Bail Agent Licensing

Important Mississippi Bail Agent License Updates

For questions concerning the Bail Bond Data Base, please contact the Mississippi Bondsource Support line 844-607-6432.

(NEW) Effective 03-16-2020, All Bail Agents will need to schedule an appointment for fingerprints, as the Department no longer accepts walk-ins. You may call 601-359-3582 and schedule your fingerprint appointment between the hours of 9:00 am and 4:00 pm.

Effective November 10, 2017, the department will be providing a 90 day notification for license renewal for insurance producers, adjusters, entities and bail agents. Please ensure that the department has your current business e-mail as renewal invoices will be sent to the business email address on record. Bail Soliciting & Enforcement Agents licenses are mailed and Professional Bail Agents are emailed. For questions, email

You may verify/update your contact information, including mailing address and current e-mail address on the Sircon’s Website.
You can also download and complete an Address Change Form, then scan and email to

Email Instructions

Bail Agent Licensing

The Mississippi Insurance Department offers the following types of producer\individual licenses. Click on the links (where available) for application instructions and forms. Questions pertaining to the licensing process should be directed to or by calling the MID Licensing Division at (601) 359-3582.

Use the index below to go directly to a particular section on this page:

Bail Prelicensing

Testing Center: Pearson Vue / / (888) 293-4222
Monday – Friday, 7:00am – 7:00pm CT, Closed on local holidays

back to top

Bail Agent Continuing Education


  • Bail Agent, Professional - $100.00
    • Limited Surety
    • Personal Surety
  • Bail Enforcement or Soliciting Agent - $40.00
  • Professional Bail Agent’s Certificate of Authority - $25.00
  • Fingerprinting- $50.00

back to top

Bail Licenses

back to top

Additional Forms

back to top


Professional Bail Agents, Bail Soliciting Agents and Bail Enforcement Agents will renew in September in odd years (e.g. 2023, 2025, 2027). All Bail Agent renewal invoices will be emailed the first week of July. Professional agents must be renewed before their soliciting/enforcement agents can be renewed.

Online Renewals


For those with inactive licenses, if you wish to reinstate, you may submit a first-time Professional Bail Agent, Bail Enforcement or Soliciting Agent paper application.

Bail Statute

Mississippi Code 1972, Title 99, Chapter 5, Criminal Procedures (Sec. 99-5-11 to 99-5-39)

Mississippi Code 1972, Title 83. Chapter 39, Bail Bonds and Bondsmen (Sec 83-39-1 to 83-39-31)

To locate MS Code access Secretary of State website:

back to top

Laws, Bulletins, Regulations

2016 Legislative Summary

2013 Legislative Summary

New Laws

back to top

Bail Frequently Asked Questions

Question I want to become a bail bondsman/bounty hunter. What do I need to do?

Answer You will need to take the 40-hour pre-licensing course offered by the Mississippi Bail Association, pass the state bail agent exam, come to the MS Insurance Department to be fingerprinted, complete an application (signed by both you and the professional bail agent you will be working under), a full-face color photo, and $40 fee per license (bail soliciting & bail enforcement).

Question When and where are the pre-licensing classes held?

Answer There are three vendors providing the 40-hour pre-licensing training for Bail Agents. You may contact them for their calendar of available pre-licensing courses and tuition costs:

  1.            (1) Mississippi Bail Agents Association - - 601-899-8599
  2.            (2) Mississippi Coalition of Bail Sureties - - 1-877-771-2245
  3.            (3) Mississippi Bail Training Institute - - 228-265-7700

Please note that vendors (1) MBAA and (3) MBTI offer both classroom and on-line courses.

Question When and where are the state exams administered?

Answer Contact PearsonVue at 1-888-293-4222 or logon at for information on upcoming exam dates and locations to be given.

Question How long will it take to get my license?

Answer Once the application has been received, it takes approximately 7 to 14 business days. This is also dependent on receiving the fingerprint background results from DPS and the FBI.

Question Can I work for more than one professional bail agent?

Answer Only a bail enforcement agent is allowed to work under more than one professional bail agent. He/she will have to apply for each license. As long as the applicant is currently licensed, the only requirements are a completed application and license fee.

Question How do I start my own bonding company?

Answer The MID does not license bonding companies. The Personal Surety and Limited Surety professional licenses authorize the individual to have a trade name (bonding company). The requirements are:

  1. a. Hold a bail soliciting license for three (3) consecutive years prior to applying for a professional agent license.
  2. b. Pass the professional bail agent exam.
  3. c. Submit completed application and $100 fee.
  4. d. Submit a full-faced color photo.
  5. e. Become fingerprinted by the MID if not submitted in the previous twelve (12) months; if previously fingerprinted, use resubmission form.
  6. f. Additionally, Limited Surety must include appointment form and $25 fee; Personal Surety must include $30,000 CD, irrevocable security power, and original bank safekeeping receipt if CD is not the original.

Question Can I have both professional licenses?

Answer No

Question What’s the difference between the two professional licenses?

Answer The Personal Surety must post a $30,000.00 qualification bond (CD) and irrevocable security power.The Limited Surety is backed by the appointing insurance company.

Question Can I bring a $30,000.00 cashier’s check or personal check?

Answer The department only accepts certificates of deposit (CD) or a state-issued bond.

Question Should I have my spouse’s (parent, etc.) name on the CD/bond in case something happens to me?

Answer No. The CD’s are to be made out to both the professional bondsman and the Mississippi Insurance Department. These are not to be redeemed until formally released by the Commissioner of Insurance.

Question I’m out of state and my partner and I want to start a bail bond business in your state. What are the requirements?

Answer Non-residents must comply with the requirements the same as the residents. See Question 5.

Question Who do I contact regarding continuing education?

Answer Call or email the Mississippi Bail Association, Mississippi Coalition of Bail Sureties or Mississippi Bail Training Institute.

QuestionI want to get out of the bail bonds business. How do I get my money back?

Answer Contact the MID Producer Licensing Division for instructions. If your personal surety license has been inactive for five (5) years, you may simply submit a letter to the department to request your qualification bond be returned.

Question Two bail bondsmen came to my house and kicked my door in. Can I tell you about it?

Answer All complaints must be in writing. Be sure to indicate the name of the bail agent and NOT the bail bonding company. Give specifics of the incident(s) and if money was involved, send copies of payment(s) made. Mail to: Mississippi Insurance Department, Attn: Investigations Division, P O Box 79, Jackson, MS 39205 or email

Question I am a Limited Surety agent and my company canceled my appointment. What does that mean?

Answer By operation of law, your license will be canceled and you will be notified by certified letter by the department. To reinstate, you must submit a new application, $100 license fee, a new company appointment with $25 appointment fee and become fingerprinted by our staff (if not done so in the previous 12 months).

Question What happens if I do not take the 8-hour CE course in both of the two license years?

Answer Your license will be canceled on the expiration date (which is September 30 of every odd year). If you wish to reinstate, you will be required to take the 40-hour pre-license course (if not already taken). If you have taken the 40-hour course, you will need to apply for your license after it expires and it will show a lapse. You will also need to be fingerprinted by our staff if not done so in the previous 12 months.

Question If a bail enforcement agent is currently licensed, wants to add another professional and has not taken the 40-hour pre-licensing course, will they be required to do so?

Answer Since the bail enforcement agent is currently licensed, they WILL NOT be required to take the 40-hour course.

Question What will I need to provide to be fingerprinted?

Answer You will need three documents: a recent head shot photo, no larger than a 4x6; your social security card and a valid driver’s license.

Question What is the fee?

Answer The fee is $50.00 (check or money order only).

Question How long will it take for my prints to come back?

Answer It may take two to six weeks to receive your prints back in our office.

Question Will I be notified once my prints are back?

Answer No, if you have successfully completed all the requirements you will receive your license in the mail.

Question Will I be able to receive a copy of my background information?

Answer No, that information is for the MID office only.

back to top